Monday, December 6, 2010

Pumpkin Roll

Who doesn't love a good pumpkin roll?  For Thanksgiving...?  Yea, I do too.  So I decided to improvise and make it up as I went along, and I found a yummy sounding frosting for the middle.

Cakey Part
Ingredients:
1 box spice cake mix
1 can pure pumpkin (15 oz)

Instructions:
Mix 2 ingredients together.  Spread onto greased jelly roll pan.  Bake about 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  *Trick I didn't know about at the time, let it cool for a few minutes, then flip the cake onto a towel and roll with towel; this will help it from cracking later.

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
Ingredients:
1 (8 oz) brick 3rd less fat cream cheese, room temp.
1 stick butter (1/2 c), room temp.
2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Instructions:
Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.  Mix in powdered sugar on LOW speed for about 15-20 seconds, then mix on HIGH until combined.  Add vanilla and cinnamon; mix until thoroughly combined.

Making the roll:
Gentle unroll the cake from the towel.  Spread the frosting onto the cake, thickness as you desire.  Roll it back up.  I wrapped mine in plastic and put it in the fridge to help set it a little.  Slice and serve.

Verdict:
It tasted SO good, which is a relief because it looked like a sad pumpkin roll.  I'd definitely make it again!

No comments: