Since I've got lemon juice coming out of my
Balsamic Lemon Chicken
8 pieces chicken (legs and thighs, skin on, bone in)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 whole lemons, zested, 1 juiced and the other cut into wedges
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Prick the chicken pieces all over with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the balsamic vinegar with have of the lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix the sugar with the remaining lemon zest in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-save skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes. Melt 2 tbsp of the butter, and place chicken skin side down in the pan along with the remaining marinade. Cook until the chicken is browned on one side, 3-4 minutes, and then flip each piece over and cook 1 more minute. Sprinkle the lemon sugar over the chicken and transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is completely cooked through and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165F, about 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven. Cut remaining 2 tbsp of butter into small pieces and scatter around chicken. Pour the lemon juice over everything. Once the butter is melted, serve the pan sauce drizzled over the chicken and lemon wedges on the side.
- I don't tend to have bone in skin on chicken in my house, so I used chicken breasts. BI-SO probably would have give it a different flavor.
- I used more juice, i think 2 lemons worth.