Friday, October 1, 2010

Top Banana Bread

(adapted from Hungry Girl)

Hey, how has a bunch (bad pun, sorry) of banana in the freezer?  I do, I do.  Time to once again use some up and try a new banana bread recipe.  This time I tried a recipe out of Hungry Girl's 200 Under 200 cookbook, but I had to make a few adjustments, and next time I would make a few more.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c whole-wheat flour
1/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar (instead of Splenda like the recipe called for)
1 1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
1/2 c fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/2 c no-sugar-added applesauce
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine both types of flour, sugar (splenda), baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix well.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, egg substitute, applesauce and vanilla extract.  Add the wet mixture to the bowl containing the dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
  4. Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (about 9 inches by 5 inches) sprayed with nonstick spray.  Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
  5. Allow the loaf to cool slightly, then cut into eight slices.  
Serves 8

Per serving (with splenda): 140 calories, 0.5g fat, 267mg sodium, 31g carbs, 3.75g fiber, 7g sugar, 5g protein

Alterations/Recommendations:
  • I don't have baking Splenda in my house.  It's too expensive.  Plus I don't like how Splenda tastes.  So I used regular sugar.
  • I also used whole wheat flour for all of the flour.  Next time I wouldn't do that.  I'd honestly probably only 1/2 WW and 1/2 AP flours.  It was too...whole wheaty for me.

No comments: