Friday, October 1, 2010

Panzanella and Sausage Salad

adapted from Rachael Ray's Everyday magazine

I love panzanella salad.  It's carbs and veggies and cheese and full of flavor.  So when I came across this recipe I knew I had to make it.  So I did, last night for dinner.  Bonus, this meal boasts at being $10 (or less) total!

Ingredients:
Four 3/4" thick slices of italian bread
1/4 c EVOO
2 plum/roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
5 fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
4 italian sausage links (about 1 lb)

Instructions:
  1. Preheat a grill to medium.  Brush the bread slices with 2 tbs EVOO.  In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion and garlic; season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.  Let stand for 15 minutes.  Add the vinegar and remaining 2 tbs EVOO.
  2. Meanwhile, arrange the bread on the grill and toast on one side, about 2 minutes.  Flip and top with half of the cheese; cover and grill for 2 minutes.  Let cool slightly, then cut into cubes and add to the tomato mixture.  Stir in the basil.
  3. Pierce the sausage with a fork, arrange on the grill, cover and cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.  Thickly slice the sausage and add to the bread salad.  Divide among 4 plants and top with the remaining cheese.
Adjustments/Recommendations:
  • I used tomatoes and basil from mom's garden, onion from mom's house, and left over garlic bread from catering.  The only thing I had to purchase was the sausage.
  • Being as I used left over bread that was already cooked/grilled, I made croutons for the salad.
  • Instead of salt and pepper, I sprinkled with Santa Maria seasoning.
  • I topped each plate with a little shredded parm, not grated.  Only because 1) I like shredded better, and 2) I didn't read the word grated on the recipe at first.  Oops.
  • To make this salad a little healthier, I used hot italian turkey sausage.  It was good, and a lot less fat.  Oh, and I didn't grill it, I cooked them on the stove top.
  • Next time, I think I won't "finely chop" the tomato and onion though.  It was hard to stab little pieces of veggies.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

I'm so excited that you're sharing this recipe! I've been craving it since you made it... And luckily I was smart and made a ton of croutons last night!!!!