I saw this recipe on Pdub's website and thought, that sounds good and looks easy. And I'll even do her TWO better; I'll use whole wheat pasta and ground turkey. My advice, stick to the normal recipe or really know how to doctor it up.
2 tbs olive oil
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 generous tsp ground thyme
2 14-oz cans whole tomatoes
1/4 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 to 2 lbs rigatoni
- First, heat olive oil in large skillet or pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook a couple minutes, until starting to turn translucent. Add garlic and stir, cooking 1 minute, making sure not to brown the garlic.
- Next, add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the excess fat. Add salt, pepper, and ground thyme. Stir to combine.
- Now dumb in the canned tomatoes with their juice. Stir, reduce heat to low, and cover pot. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Uncover the pot and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions - don't overcook! Drain and place individual portions into bowls.
- Stir in 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated parmesan into the sauce. Check and adjust seasonings. Ladle sauce over cooked pasta, sprinkle with more parmesan, and serve.
Again, I suck at getting a picture of the completed product. Sorry. You'll just have to go visit the Pioneer Woman's page to see her delicious dish.