12 oz. breakfast sausage (bulk or links)*
6 English muffins, cut into 1" cubes**
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup bacon bits
- Cook sausage according to package directions. Cool slightly. If links, cut into 1/4" slices.
- In a greased 9x13" baking dish, layer half the English muffin cubes and half the cooked sausage. Repeat layers. Drizzle with butter and top with cheese, onion, and red pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over casserole. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Uncover and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes. Makes 12 servings.
cheapfrugal and bought bulk sausage instead of links.
cheapfrugal and bought white bread instead of English muffins.
- For one of the casseroles (I made 2), after the sausage was cooked I added some sliced mushrooms and sauteed them a little.