Friday, March 4, 2011

Lemon Crunch Bars

I was asked by my bible study leader if I could make 2 desserts for an event that happened at church a couple weekends ago.  Being that 1) I love to bake, and 2) had a reason to bake that didn't cause me to keep the desserts at home, I said yes, of course.

Here's a recipe for Lemon Crunch Bars.  I was a bit skeptical at first, but I forged ahead.  Let's just say...this dessert didn't last long in the sea of other desserts.  It.was.gone!  And that's a good thing.

Lemon Crunch Bars
Combine:
2 1/2 c flaked coconut
1 1/2 c soda crackers, rolled finely
2/3 c sugar
1 c flour
1 c soft margarine*
Mix well and place 1/2 of this mixture in a 9x13" pan and pat down firmly.
Combine:
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbs cornstarch
Stir in 2 2/3 cup milk.  Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
Mix:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c lemon juice**
Stir a little of the hot mixture into egg mixture (to temper it).  Then add all to hot mixture.  Cook and stir a few minutes longer.
Add:
2 tbs margarine*
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pour this mixture over crust in pan.  Top with remaining half of crumbs and pat down lightly.  Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until light brown.  Chill and cut into bars.  Store in the refrigerator.

Alternatives
*I'm anti margarine.  I used butter.  Hello!  I live in a HUGE dairy community!  Butter is my friend and I always have a back-up box in the freezer.
**My parent's have a lemon tree full of lemons, so I used freshly squeezed juice instead of the stuff you buy at the store in the green container.

No comments: