8 oz bulk pork sausage
1 medium red onion, sliced
2 lb American cheese, cubed
2 10-oz cans chopped tomatoes and green chile peppers, undrained
1 5.3 oz pkg cocktail wieners, halved crosswise
- In a medium saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is brown; drain fat. Transfer sausage mixture to a 3 1/2 to 4 quart crockery cooker (aka crockpot). Stir in cheese, tomatoes, and wieners.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 1 to 2 hours or until cheese is melted, stirring after 1 hour. To serve, keep dip warm on low-heat setting, stirring occasionally. Serve with tortilla chips. Makes 18 servings.
- I, always trying to "healthify" recipes, used hot Italian turkey sausage. I just took the casing off and cooked it up!
- If I had them on hand, I would have used turkey lil' smokies.
- And if I could have found it at the grocery store I went shopping at, I would have used 2% velveta cheese.
Calories: 168; Total Fat: 14g (saturated fat: 8g); Cholesterol: 41mg; Sodium: 644mg; Carbohydrate: 2g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 9g
recipe from Better Homes and Gardens