Monday, November 1, 2010

Body Bits Dip

I know this is officially a day late, but it's still really yummy and needs to be shared.  And really, it's hot cheese dip and it's football season...do the math.

Ingredients:
8 oz bulk pork sausage
1 medium red onion, sliced
2 lb American cheese, cubed
2 10-oz cans chopped tomatoes and green chile peppers, undrained
1 5.3 oz pkg cocktail wieners, halved crosswise
Tortilla chips

Instructions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is brown; drain fat.  Transfer sausage mixture to a 3 1/2 to 4 quart crockery cooker (aka crockpot).  Stir in cheese, tomatoes, and wieners.
  2. Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 1 to 2 hours or until cheese is melted, stirring after 1 hour.  To serve, keep dip warm on low-heat setting, stirring occasionally.  Serve with tortilla chips.  Makes 18 servings.
Alterations/Recommendations:
  • I, always trying to "healthify" recipes, used hot Italian turkey sausage.  I just took the casing off and cooked it up!
  • If I had them on hand, I would have used turkey lil' smokies.
  • And if I could have found it at the grocery store I went shopping at, I would have used 2% velveta cheese.
Nutritionals per serving:
Calories: 168; Total Fat: 14g (saturated fat: 8g); Cholesterol: 41mg; Sodium: 644mg; Carbohydrate: 2g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 9g

No comments: