Saturday, August 23, 2008

Peach Sorbet

After having a surplus of diced peaches, like 2 gallons, left over from a catering job, I just couldn't bear to waste or dump them. And I knew that they're time would soon be expiring. So what do you make with diced peaches? Cobbler, sure. Pie, sounds good. Shortcake, tired of it. Sorbet, now that sounds good... Then I had to find a recipe. I didn't want just pureed peaches and simple syrup, I wanted more. Something unique. Something different. And let me tell you. I found it!

May I present to you...

Peach Sorbet
Serves 8. 3 1/4 hours, 15 minutes prep.

4 cups peeled* and diced fresh peaches, and their juices
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice*
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons amaretto liqueur or orange juice concentrate

  1. In a blender, whip peaches and their juices until smooth.
  2. Heat remaining ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in peach puree.
  3. Pour into an 8-inch square pan and set in freezer. Using a rubber spatula, stir every 15 minutes until creamy, about 2 hours.* Cover and allow to freeze.
  4. To serve, scoop into small dishes and garnish with fresh fruit.
Nutrition Facts: calories 135, total fat 0.2g, dietary fiber 1.4g.

*Yea, the dices peaches I already had weren't peeled, so I didn't bother. I like to look of them not peeled, little specks of red throughout. And weren't you taught, a lot of the nutrients are in the skin! And I think I ended up putting more like 5 cups in the blender...
*Ran out of lemon juice, so I used lime too. And it wasn't fresh, the juices came out of the little plastic lemon and lime squeezey things.
*I didn't waste my time with a pan, spatula, and 2 hours. Into the Cuisinart ice cream maker it went. 30 minutes later I transferred it to a Tupperware container and into the freezer it went. Much easier!

Recipezaar

No comments: