The Perfect Cupcake Recipe (using a box mix)
1 box mix (any flavor, but get the good kind - Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted (use butter, not margarine!)
1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Add cake mix, eggs, and water to the butter in large bowl.
- Mix on low for 1 minute. Then mix on high for 1 minute. You will be amazed that your batter is nice and thick and creamy - not thin and runny like it is when you follow the box instructions.
- Fill cupcake papers (tip: use an ice cream scooper, one scoop is just the right amount per cupcake!)
- Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let cool.
2 sticks butter at room temperature
8 ounces of cream cheese
3-4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup salted caramel (recipe in above frosting link)
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.
- Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar into the butter/cream cheese mixture and beat to combine.
- Add 1 cup of the salted caramel and beat to combine.
- Add additional powdered sugar until the frosting is the sweetness and consistency you desire.
- I didn't have time to make the salted caramel for the frosting, so I used Trader Joe's Fleur del Sel caramel sauce.