Saturday, June 19, 2010

Orange Dreamsicle Cake

My Bloggy Buddy, Bluegrass Belle, posted this recipe a few weeks ago and I knew I had to make it.  This is the perfect summer cake. especially if you're bbqing or have friends over for dinner.  And that's when I made it, when I had some friends over for dinner.  Everyone loved it!

Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix
1 small box vanilla jello instant pudding
2 small boxes orange jello
16 oz. cool whip
1 cup milk

Instructions:
  1. Bake cake as directed.  While cake is still warm, poke holes in cake with the end of a wooden spoon.  Mix one box of orange jello according to package directions, and pour the liquid mixture over warm cake.  Cool before adding icing (can be refrigerated overnight before adding the icing, or just let the cake cool).
  2. To make the icing:  mix the remaining box of orange jello with the pudding and one cup of milk.  Add to thawed cool whip, and spread on the cake.  Refrigerate overnight and serve.
Optional Alterations:
  • To cut calories:  bake the cake with applesauce instead of oil, use reduced fat and/or sugar free pudding and jello mixes, use light cool whip, and use 1% milk.
  • I didn't have orange jello, so I used raspberry.  SO good!  I bet it would be good with lemon or strawberry as well.
Sorry I don't have a picture.  I made it in a rush (oops, didn't read the "refrigerate overnight" until I started making it, 2 hours before serving. 

Thanks Jill for sharing the recipe!

No comments: