Monday, June 15, 2009

Banana Bread

Where do dying bananas go?
To the freezer.

Then what do you do with them?
Make banana bread of course!
And to be honest, I've never made banana bread, so I was a little bit scared. But I forged ahead and made it anyways. Yummy!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
1/2 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c chopped nuts, optional

Instructions:
  1. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
  2. Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in the nuts. Pour into pans.
  3. Bake 8" loaves about 1 hour, 9" loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans on wire rack. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
1 slice: 70 calories, 2g fat, 10mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 12g carb (0 dietary fiber), 1g protein.

Alterations:
-I used 1/2 c egg substitute instead of 2 eggs. So that probably wiped out the cholesterol.
-I used 2 c all purpose flour and 1/2 c whole wheat flour. That should have added a little dietary fiber.
-Other recipes I saw called for milk. And since I didn't have any buttermilk that's what I used, regular 1% milk.

How do you like your banana bread?

Me, I like it with a little bit of cream cheese. So good!
I also like to pick at the corners.

Recipe from Betty Cocker's New Cookbook Eighth Edition (R) 1996

No comments: