These are a great easy appetizer to make for any party. Get ready to feel your arteries harden, your cholesterol go up, and diabetes kick in. Enjoy!
Brown Sugar (a 2# bag should be plenty.)
- Preheat oven around 350 to 375 degrees, maybe higher to cook faster.
- Sprinkle brown sugar in bottom of pan (8x8, 9x13, etc. depending on number of smokies. One package is enough for an 9x13). Do not pack the brown sugar. You want it about 1/2" to 1" thick.
- Cut Bacon in thirds. Or enough so a piece just barely wraps around a lil smokie.
- Wrap bacon around lil' smokies. You can use a toothpick to hold in place if you'd like. I find it to be a waste of time. Line lil' smokies in pan with bacon seam side down. If you're feeling adventurous, sprinkle some more brown sugar on top of your baconized lil' smokies.
- Put pan in preheated oven. Now...I don't know how long they take. Maybe check them after 20 minutes. If it looks like they have awhile to go, increase the temperature and cover the pan. If it looks like they're getting crispy, but the brown sugar isn't dissolved, cover the pan. When the brown sugar is dissolved and saucy, they're done! (Note: The reason you don't pack the brown sugar is because it then takes about 12 hours for it to dissolve with the bacon juices. 12 hours is just too long to wait for them.)
*10/4/09 - Pictures added.